Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The New President of the Southern Baptist Convention Is...

In case you haven't already heard the news... MY DAD, Johnny Hunt!!!

Wow, what a day! We arrived bright and early Tuesday in Indianapolis for the convention. The day started with the Minister's Wives luncheon I attended with Mom and my "minister wife" sister. Pretty funny to me still that she's a preacher's wife, but on with the day... The luncheon was nice and Gary Chapman spoke. Then we were on to the afternoon session. It started at 2:00 and the Presidential nominations were scheduled for 2:40. From 2:00 until 2:40 seemed like forever and was so boring that it was almost comical. We got to hear some people make motion to do all kinds of "interesting" things. We were waiting for the motion to change the brand of toilet paper, but I think they ran out of time! :) Jake and Pete are already working on their motions for next year's convention, and man you should hear some of the ideas they came up with so far! Haha The time finally came for the nominations. There were 6 in all. Dad's was last, and Ted Traylor did an excellent job! Then the wait was on for the results...I could not sit there, so we walked around and visited the bookstore. While we were out in the hall someone came by and said the person with the results had just entered back into the convention center. We quickly went back to where Mom and Dad and the rest of our crew was to await the decision. They read out the number of votes per nominee in the order that they were nominated. It didn't take long for me to realize, due to the number of votes they had called out so far, Dad was going to be the man. We were all so excited...but then I couldn't help but think, "oh no, he actually won, now what??" I'm still not really sure what's all in store, but I'm sure Dad will do a phenomenal job! At the end of the afternoon session we were all taken to the press conference. Now that was interesting! I was so glad they weren't asking me the questions they asked Dad...I'd had to have passed on several! Dad did a wonderful job. So that's the day up to there! More to come...

No comments: