Friday, October 31, 2008

SoBo and Atlanta Motor Speedway

The good old 98 raced this past weekend in South Boston, VA. It was cold when we got to the track on Thursday night. Friday was practice and qualifying. Saturday we woke up to rain, which delayed our racing, but it finally cleared and racing was underway. The car was not as good as we had wanted, but we made the race. Unfortunately, on a restart a car (with a 14 yr. old driver) missed a shift (maybe because he doesn't know how to drive) and piled up 4 or 5 cars behind him! We got sandwiched in between 2 cars, which brought our night to an end! I hate when we wreck!!! The car was pretty messed up, but not as bad as it could have been. The radiator got busted, so we couldn't pit and make repairs and get back on the track. Our night was done, and it was the end of our 2008 PASS season. We plan to race a few other extra races still, with some other series besides the PASS series. The 98 is getting fixed as I speak, type, whatever! Hopefully we'll be back at it next weekend, and we'll be outside of ATL, closer than alot of our races!
Friday and Saturday at the track must not have been enough for us...we drove straight to Atlanta Motor Speedway for the Nascar Cup Race. We pulled in behind all the traffic about 30 minutes before the green flag. We were in the motor home, so we couldn't park just anywhere. We found a good spot, but it was a good distance from where we would be sitting. Jake had the genius idea to get our golf cart out of the trailer and use it. I wasn't real sure about it...I don't like to get in "trouble" and thought by doing this and trying to park it somewhere near the gate was asking for it!
We all hopped on the cart, drove right to the entrance with no problem, and watched 325 laps of racing. Now it was time to leave and I had a knot in my stomach! Here we are driving along with tons of people, trams, buses...everyone trying to leave at the same time. There were security people directing people across crosswalks and cars. We roll up and they would stop traffic and people to let us through! I don't know what the deal was, but maybe because of the big 98 on the front of our golf cart with Carswell Motorsports written on it the people thought we were "official" or someone who was going somewhere important! All I know is we got right through the mayhem and back to our RV with no problem and no traffic! Just leave it to Jake to always figure something out!

We had a fun day at AMS, and we were glad Mom was with us and able to go racing too! I wanted Jeff Gordon to win, but at least he had a decent day. Carl Edwards is not my favorite, but Mom likes him, so at least her car won. I think my hearing is almost back to normal now. I was hearing roaring noises for days!






It's all so worth it just to hear those motors, smell that fuel and rubber...AHHHHH!!!! Gosh, now I'm already wishing next weekend was here or I was racing somewhere this weekend!!! Oh well, I'm going to get some BEACH in this weekend and count down my days till the next race.
Have a fabulous weekend!



No comments: